Saturday, May 23, 2009

Social "Networks" or Social "Handicaps?"

Twitter count as of today:

Following: 5
Followers: 60

A few weeks ago, those were 127 and over 400 respectively. I spent a great deal of time deleting the ones I really had no interest in or -- even worse -- had no clue who they even were. Which brings up a question or two. Between Twitter and a host of "social networking" sites, how much of the effort I put forth and the time I spend is actually making my life better?

Am I investing time that would have been more wisely and fruitfully invested in real, face-to-face relationships with people I actually know? I'm not saying that social networking in and of itself is a bad thing. It's the way a lot of ideas get shared, work gets discusses, and families and (real) friends stay better connected.

But how much is TOO much?

And are interactions of the "social networking" variety often so vastly different than real face-to-face interactions that we are losing some of our interpersonal skills?

I believe we often let these social networking tools and site become "social handicaps," not only altering the ways we talk to one another and interact in terms of basic courtesies, but also taking time and attention away from the relationships that most profoundly affect our lives. I am referring to our relationships with our spouses, children, family, friends, and coworkers.

What are your opinions? If you agree, have you taken any steps toward changing the situation for the better?

The floor is open to any and all. What say you?
share on: facebook

1 comment:

  1. Dan,

    I can be labeled "Old School" or "Old Fool". I am a trainer for a communications company and hate my cell phone. I prefer to speak with my voice and not my thumbs. It is sad to say we have reached the point where a person sitting across from a co-worker will e-mail or use one of those seriously annoying IM programs that pop up on one's screen 10,000 times per day. To me, nothing replaces the "face to face" and personal contact. But that's me. It's terrific that one can "tweet" till their thumbs become nubs if that is what one chooses to do...

    ReplyDelete