Thursday, July 30, 2009

How You Can Add Value to Social Networking and the New Media

Everywhere we turn -- the internet, television, radio, magazines, even discussions among friends -- we hear lots of talk about how things like social networking and YouTube are changing the world. Isn't it ironic, though, that most of the discussion that is taking place is not about changing the world or making it a better place -- it's about, well, the discussion itself.

Look at all the debates and all the statistics being thrown around about whether Twitter or watching video online is now more popular than social networking; whether Twitter is now a better tool for business promotion than Facebook; all the talk is about the talking methods but not about the content or context.

Why?

I think it's because we're too busy focusing on the "what" (the technology and tools) and we've lost focus on the "why" (what it is we want these tools to actually do for us.) The way we do things is no doubt changing. How we communicate and interact. We're all rushing to adopt the newest toys. Actually, we usually feel like we're running just to catch up. There's so much change.

The real stressor, however, is that despite all these new gadgets and toys, our fundamental problems aren't getting solved. We're still eager to find more customers. People are still homeless. People are still hungry. Too many are obese. Too few have health insurance or access to health care. The economy is still awful. We still have to work just to make ends meet (if we're among the fortunate who are actually working.) In a nutshell, despite all these new ways of doing things, we still face the same issues and problems in our daily lives as before.

I challenge us all to think about how we can actually use all this new technology to actually make life better for others and ourselves. Not just in fun, diversionary ways, but real, deep, fundamental, lasting ways.

Today, do at least one small thing using this new technology to make at least a tiny difference for at least one person.

Write a friend an encouraging email (don't just forward someone else's -- actually speak your own words.) Write a blog or a comment on Facebook or MySpace giving a shout-out for someone who has done something good. Go online and use your credit card to make even a small $5 or $10 donation to an organization you really care about. Whatever you do, just do something that actually makes a difference for somebody.

If we're all going to be this hooked-up, wired-up, and fired up, why not have it make a positive difference for someone else? You can. So go do it. Today. Now. That's change we can all live (better) with.

Have a wonderful day!
Dan
share on: facebook

6 comments:

  1. Dan,

    As you know I'm not the greatest fan of much or many of the social networking tools. I can however get behind the concept of using some of for the making a positive difference as you so articulately make the case for here. It's not the number of "friends" you have, its the number of lives you touch and add value to...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Troy,

    Thank you for the kind words. But I am just speaking from the heart. I honestly feel very put off at times because so much energy is spent debating the merits and advantages of one tool over another... energy that if applied to actually using these tools to create real change, could do some very powerful things.

    I would like to see us all be part of a movement that says "The tools are only as good as the positive changes they are used to create." And that isn't about technology -- it's about people. It's about us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave,

    Amen, brother. I'm pretty sure that on my death bed I won't be asking myself "Was I as good at Tweeting or using Facebook as I could have been?" No, I won't. But I know I will be asking myself "Did I make life better for others by having lived?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of technology vs. human connection, it seems that leaving a comment using Blogger is beyond my abilities tonight. Ah well.

    Interesting observation, Dan; if I remember the longer comment Blogger deleted for me I'll come back and give it another try.

    ReplyDelete